The increasing reliance on digital devices has raised concerns about exposure to blue light, also known as high-energy visible (HEV) light, emitted by screens, which can have adverse effects on our health.
Consequently, the use of blue light filters has become crucial in today’s digital age.
This article delves into the advantages of using a blue light filter for your PC, offering an in-depth analysis of CareUEyes, one of the most popular software options.
Additionally, it provides guidance on enabling blue light filtering in Windows 11, including the night light feature and a more optimal alternative app: CareUEyes.
Windows 11 night light: Blue light filter for Windows 11
The latest version of Windows, Windows 11, now includes a feature called night light.
Its purpose is to minimize the amount of blue light emitted from the screen, which can cause eye strain and disrupt sleep patterns.
The night light feature works by adjusting the color temperature of the screen to reduce blue light and enhance warmer colors, resulting in a redder and warmer display.
This is beneficial to eye health and can lead to more regular sleep cycles for those who use it. Additionally, users have the ability to customize and schedule the night light feature according to their preferences.
How to enable the night light feature
To enable the blue light filter in Windows 11, you need to perform the following steps:
1. Click on the Windows icon on the taskbar. Then select the Settings cog. (You can also open the Settings app using the shortcut keys: Win + I)
2. When Windows Settings appears on the screen, click on the System option.
3. Click on the “Display” option.
4. Click on the night light settings.
5. Toggle the night light switch to On.
6. By sliding, you can adjust the color temperature as per your requirement.
Schedule night light
7. If you want to schedule the night light to turn on and off automatically at specific times, toggle the Schedule night light switch to On and click on the Set hours button.
8. Modify the night light turn on and turn off time as per your requirement.
9. If you need to turn on and off the night light automatically according to the local sunset and sunrise time, toggle the Schedule night light switch to On and click on the Sunset to sunrise button.
Disadvantages of the night light mode
1. The first disadvantage of Windows 11 night light mode is that it changes color accuracy. If you are using the night light feature for the first time, your eyes may not get used to it, but after a while, your eyes will slowly get used to it. However, when you are editing videos or photos with Windows, you may need to turn off the night light to maintain a high level of color accuracy. But it is a bit of a hassle to manually turn on and off the night light frequently.
2. The second disadvantage of Windows 11 nightlight mode is that you can only set one color temperature mode. But people may need different color temperatures in different scenarios, for example, people can accept lower color temperature when dealing with emails or reading web pages, but usually don’t want the color of the screen to be affected too much when playing games or watching movies, so it will be easier to use if nightlight can set multiple color temperature modes.
3. The third disadvantage of Windows 11 nightlight mode is that it does not support hotkeys to adjust color temperature. According to the usual steps, you need to go through six steps to open the color temperature adjustment.
4. The fourth disadvantage of Windows 11 night light mode is that it can not set different color temperatures for day and night, you need to manually adjust the color temperature again at sunset and sunrise.
For people who just want to improve their sleep, they can turn on the night light only after sunset, but for people who want to reduce blue light to protect their eyes, they also need to turn on the night light feature during the day, but usually, they don’t need to filter as much blue light during the day as they do at night, so it’s necessary to set different color temperature for day and night.
A more perfect third-party alternative
If you want to overcome the above disadvantages of Windows 11 night light, you can install a third-party software called CareUEyes. CareUEyes filters blue light by adjusting the color temperature just like Windows 11 night light, but it not only supports Windows 11 but also supports installation on XP, Windows 7, and Windows 8.
CareUEyes is easier to use than the night light feature
1. Eight built-in color temperature modes for you to choose
CareUEyes has eight modes for you to choose from, you just need to experience each mode one by one when you use it for the first time, and you can find the most suitable model for you.
2. Convenient and quick to adjust the color temperature
If you are not satisfied with the default mode, you can either adjust the color temperature through the slider on the main interface of CareUEyes or customize the hotkeys to adjust the color temperature.
3. You can set different color temperatures for day and night
You just need to turn on the sunrise and sunset features of CareUEyes to set different color temperatures for day and night, and CareUEyes will automatically adjust the color temperature for you at the sunrise and sunset time you set.
4. Powerful customization rules
You can customize the rules to enter the specified mode when using an application, for example, you can specify to pause the color temperature adjustment when using Photoshop, i.e. enter Pause mode, and enter the game mode when running the game CS: GO.
5. More eye protection features
CareUEyes is not just a blue light filter, it can also adjust the screen brightness, focus, and remind to take regular breaks, it is a multi-feature eye protection software.
The Windows 11 night Light is a simple blue light filter, if you need a more powerful and easy-to-use blue light filter with more comprehensive protection for your eyes, recommend you to install CareUEyes.